You can control your weight. To lose weight, you must eat fewer calories or burn up more calories than you need. The best way to lose weight is to do both.
Very low calorie diets also lack many important nutrients, putting you at risk of becoming malnourished. Most importantly, research shows that people who follow these diets usually gain all their weight back. People who lose weight slowly by eating less and exercising more tend to keep the weight off.
Determine your BMI
(Weight in Pounds x 703) / (Height in Inches) = BMI
For example, a 250-pound person at 5’10" would have a BMI of 35.86. People with BMIs of 25 and above are considered to be overweight. Having a body mass index over 30 places you at risk for developing obesity-related medical conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure and coronary artery disease. A BMI over 40 indicates that a person is morbidly obese.
How many calories do I need?
Everyone's energy needs are different, but there are ways to estimate how many calories you need. One easy method is based on your activity level. Decide whether your activity level is low, moderate or high. Health Tips for Today - Best Way to Lose Weight. Pick one of these definitions:
You don't participate in any regular physical activity, or you are involved in recreational activity only on the weekends.
Your physical fitness program includes aerobic activity for 30 to 60 minutes at least three times a week.
You exercise vigorously for 60 minutes or more at least four times a week.
Next, find your activity factor by using the chart on the right. Look for the number where your activity level matches your weight status. Multiply the activity factor by your weight to estimate how many calories are needed to maintain your current weight.
Making every calorie count
Putting it all together
In addition to changing your diet, mildly restricting calories and keeping track of what you eat, it is very important to include exercise as part of your weight loss and weight maintenance efforts. Discuss with your physician what is the best exercise for you, but make a point to exercise. Health Tips for Today - Best Way to Lose Weight.
Some things learned to date:
- Those who have achieved successful weight loss report making substantial changes in eating and exercise habits in order to lose weight and maintain their losses. On average, registrants report consuming about 1400 kcal/day (24 percent calories from fat) and expending about 400 kcal/day in physical exercise. Walking is the most frequently cited physical activity.
- The average registrant has lost about 60 pounds and kept it off for about 5 years.
- Two-thirds of these successful weight losers were overweight as children, and 60 percent report a family history of obesity.
- About 50 percent of participants lost weight on their own without any type of formal program or help.
- Successful weight losers appear similar to normal weight individuals in terms of resting metabolic rate.
Please read our previous post Health Tips for Today - Good Health and How to Be Healthy
Also some of our related post Health Tips for Today